Snead State Welcomes Displaced ITT Students
Snead State Community College is welcoming displaced ITT Technical Institute students after it ceased operations on Sept. 6.
ITT Tech said the closures are due to an investigation and sanctions by the U.S. Department of Education.
Snead State is offering a unique way for ITT Tech students to try a class at Snead State tuition free before they buy more classes to earn their Associate degree or certificate.
“For many ITT Tech students, this is a difficult time filled with frustration and uncertainty about the status of their futures,” said Snead State President Dr. Robert Exley. “SSCC is prepared and uniquely positioned to offer credit for prior learning as well as a new pathway for associate degree and certificate program completion.”
“Simply put, we are welcoming ITT Tech students into our Snead State family,” said Dr. Exley. “We have a history of offering non-traditional students affordable, accessible educational opportunities.”
Snead State has also established a dedicated contact and email address for former ITT Tech students looking for immediate solutions. Former ITT Tech students can email Mr. Brady Keel at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (256) 840-4108. Information can also be found online by visiting snead.edu/itt2sscc.
ITT Tech students can explore several options at Snead State when it comes to transferring credits. Snead State is one of the only colleges in Alabama that awards transfer credit for courses taken at ITT Technical Institute.
A transfer student from a collegiate institute not accredited by a regional association may request an evaluation of transfer credits after completing 15 semester credits at Snead State Community College with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above.
Snead State also awards non-traditional credit from the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and through Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) via a portfolio review. Additionally, the fee for portfolio review to assess prior learning has been waived for ITT Tech students.
Students wishing to start the process immediately may visit Snead State’s website at www.snead.edu. From there, click on the “Apply Today” button to proceed. There is no application fee for the College.
Snead State offers academic programs that relate to a number of ITT Tech offerings, such as:
• Applied Business with options in Accounting, Agri-Business, Childcare Management, Finance, Health Care Management, Logistics & Purchasing, Marketing and Management
• Computer Science Technology with options in Networking, Cybersecurity and Database Administration
• Industrial Technology with an option in Multi-Craft
• Office Administration with options in Legal Administrative Assistant, Medical Administrative Assistant, Medical Transcription and Coding and General Business Administrative Assistant
Snead State continues to be a leader in the state when it comes to online education. Snead State offers hundreds of online classes. Additionally, students can earn the Associate in Applied Science Degree in Business Management completely online. This degree, which includes ten concentration options, prepares students to enter the workforce or transfer to another institution to pursue a four-year degree.
Other 100-percent online degree options include:
• Accounting Tech (Short Certificate)
• Applied Business (Associate in Applied Science Degree)
• Child Development (Short Certificate / Certificate / AAS Degree) online. Most courses include required field experiences that must be done at a child care facility.
• Office Administration (Short Certificate / AAS) Medical Transcription (Short Certificate)
• LPN-to-RN Mobility- There are some on-campus meetings and also clinical placements.
Most transfer options are also available 100-percent online, including the most popular Business, Elementary Education and Pre-Nursing options.
Registration is going on now for the Fall Mini II term. Students may register through Oct. 18. Classes begin Oct. 17.
SSCC is a regionally-accredited higher education institution offering associate two-year degree programs that transfer to four-year degree programs throughout Alabama, as well as out of state. In addition, Snead State offers industry-certified credentials and workforce training programs that can be applied on-the-job for current working professionals.