Things you should know about the COMPASS Placement Exam:
The computer based exam consists of 3 sections: Reading, Writing/Grammar, and Mathematics.
- Your score on each section will determine which class you will be able to start in (ENG 093 or ENG 101, RDG 085 or no Reading course, and MTH 091 – MTH 125).
- The exam is un-timed so please TAKE YOUR TIME since the higher you score, the higher course you will be able to start in!!!
- The Writing/Grammar section you will be editing an essay on the computer.
- The Reading section of the exam will test your reading comprehension skills.
- The Mathematics section will begin with questions in Pre-Algebra and based on the number of questions you get correct will progress through Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry, etc.
- You will be allowed to use a calculator on the Mathematics section BUT if you use your own calculator it will have to be approved first by the proctor. Click on the link below for calculator guidelines
- You will be allowed to test 2 times in a 3 year time frame. The first time you test is free of charge and the second time will be $8.
- Photo id is needed in order to test.
- No personal belongings are allowed in the testing lab. So please leave all materials at home or in your car.
There will be no COMPASS testing on Monday, July 28, due to scheduled maintenance. Testing should resume normal hours on Tuesday, July 29.
- Monday – Thursday anytime between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 1 p.m. at the McCain Student Success and Career Center in room 111 on the Boaz campus.
You DO NOT need to make an appointment or pre-register as long as you test anytime between those hours at the Boaz campus.
- Arab Campus – By appointment ONLY. Students need to call 256-840-4116, to schedule an appointment. It's given Mondays and Wednesdays between the hours of 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Office: 112, McCain Student Success and Career Center
Phone: (256) 840-4165