Workforce Development Division
The Workforce Development Division at Snead State Community College offers training opportunities designed to give you the skills you need to succeed. We provide personal enrichment classes, professional development opportunities, business and industry specific training and short-term skill training programs aimed at helping you obtain those skills needed in today's workforce. Stay up to date with Workforce Development at Snead State on Facebook
or on their blog
. Check out all of the Workforce Development Division offerings below. The registration form for SSCC Workforce Development classes can be found here
Workforce Development Specialist
Director of Workforce Development
and Arab Instructional Site
Career Skills Training
Are you ready for a new career? New beginnings can start here. Career skills training programs provide career training opportunities in a short length of time. These programs may be completed within 15 weeks to 11 months. Financial assistance is available for those who qualify through the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) for a select number of programs. Our spring 2015 career skills training options include Welding Technology, Phlebotomy Technician and Clinical Medical Assistant + Phlebotomy Technician. For complete details of these courses, click here
- Snead State Community College, in partnership with ed2go, offers online open enrollment programs designed to provide the skills necessary to acquire professional level positions for many in-demand occupations.
- Snead State Community College has partnered with Career Step to help students like you train for a rewarding new career. You may also click here for more details.
Business and Industry Training
The Training for Existing Business and Industry Program at Snead State Community College provides company-specific training to businesses in Marshall Country and the surrounding areas. The College works with businesses to identify employee training needs and tailor services around those needs. The training can take place on location at the business or on the college campus. The following open enrollment courses are also available to individuals:
Ready to Work Program
The Alabama Ready to Work is a program that tests and scores your job
skills and work habits. It’s a way for you to prove to employers that
you are The One. Ready to Work is FREE and easy. Upon successful
completion of the program, you will receive two credentials: Alabama
Certified Worker and National Career Readiness Certificate. The
credentials complement other diplomas, certificates and degrees. It
shows employers what you can do and measures the skills that employers
and colleges seek. Whether looking for work or preparing for a better
job, get ready! Snead State Community College can prepare you to be
Career Ready! As an added benefit, graduates of Snead State’s Ready to
Work program will receive a FREE 3-hour credit class, a $432 value. The
curriculum for the Ready to Work program includes:
- Job Acquisition-Resumes, Applications, Interviews
- Computer Skills-Windows 7, Intro to Computers, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Technology to Communicate
- Problem Solving-Time Management, Decision Analysis, Problem Solving, Conflict Resolution
- Workplace Behavior-Diversity, Harassment, Workplace Violence, Work Ethics, Teamwork
- Operations- Quality, Lean/JIT, Workplace Safety
- Customer Service
- Financial Literacy
For complete details, please click here. You may also register by clicking here.
Snead State's FREE Ready to Work sessions will be held at:
Boaz Bevill Center
- April 17 - June 19 on Fridays from 8:15 a.m. -2:30 p.m.
- July 10 - September 11 on Fridays from 8:15 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
- September 25 - December 4 on Fridays from 8:15 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Arab Instructional Site
- April 13 - June 3 on Mondays and Wednesdays from 1:30 - 5:30 p.m.
- June 15 - August 5 on Mondays and Wednesdays from 1:30 - 5:30 p.m.
Marshall Technical School
- April 14 - June 4 on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5-9 p.m.
- June 16 - August 6 on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5-9 p.m.
- August 18 - October 8 on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5-9 p.m.
Personal enrichment classes and professional development opportunities are available through continuing education courses.
New Childcare Workshop
The state requirements for childcare workers/teachers provide that they shall have at least twelve clock hours of training in child care and development within thirty days after employment. This training will include child development; health, safety and universal precautions; quality childcare and licensing; the child care professional and the family; language development; and positive discipline and guidance. The workshop, presented by Dr. Karen Watts, is available online and is open enrollment. The cost is $40 per person. For more details, please click here.
Continuing Ed Online
We offer a wide range of highly interactive courses that you can take entirely over the Internet. All of our courses include expert instructors, many of whom are nationally known authors. Our online courses are affordable, fun, fast, convenient, and geared just for you. Visit our ed2go website for more information.
Private Music Lessons
This program offers individual instruction in music. The music performance instruction covers musicianship, music theory and music history. Students are expected to be present for lessons as scheduled. Regularly-scheduled lessons missed by the instructor, if any, will be rescheduled. Lessons missed by students will be rescheduled only at the instructor’s convenience.
Tuition for music instruction is based on the number of lessons and the duration of time spent with the instructor, as follows:
- Ten 60-minute lessons $360
- Ten 45-minute lessons $300
- Ten 30-minute lessons $240
Professional Certifications and Testing
Certification proves your commitment to your chosen profession and can help individuals obtain better pay, career opportunities and job security. Snead State offers several professional certifications to assist individuals with professional growth and career opportunities.
ACT Workkeys and the Alabama Career Readiness Certificate
WorkKeys® is a job skills assessment system that helps employers select, hire, train, develop, and retain a high-performance workforce.
Career Seekers: Taking WorkKeys tests is an important first step to prepare for education, training, or a career. WorkKeys scores help you compare your skills to the skills real jobs require. Employers across the country are requiring the WorkKeys assessments or recommending the National Career Readiness Certificate. These scores help employers choose the most qualified candidates for their jobs.
Employers: WorkKeys gives you a complete solution for employee selection and development. Our powerful solution offers both Foundational Skills and Soft Skills assessments, enabling you to assess the full potential of applicants and employees. The tools in this comprehensive system can be mixed and matched to meet diverse organizational needs including selection, screening, training & development and succession planning.
Successful completion of ACT WorkKeys assesments can lead to earning ACT's National Career Readiness Certificate. The Certificate is a portable credential that shows employers anywhere in the United States the achievement of a certain level of workplace employability skills in Applied Mathematics, and Locating Information, and Reading for Information. These workplace skills are highly important to the majority of jobs in the workplace.
Snead State Community College is a Workforce Solutions Provider with ACT WorkKeys, and offers the following assessments by appointment only:
Foundational Skills – Applied Mathematics*, Reading for Information*, Locating Information*, Applied Technology, Business Writing, Workplace Observation, and Listening for Understanding (*Also available in WorkKeys for Healthcare version)
Soft Skills – Fit, Performance and Talent
National Healthcareer Association (NHA) certification
Just as each patient is special, so is each patient care provider. By providing students with the support and certification needed to succeed in the allied health field, NHA is one of the nation’s largest allied health certification providers. Snead State is an approved testing site with NHA (National Healthcareer Association) to provide the following certifications. The cost is $199 per person and includes a study guide.
- Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT)
- Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA)
- Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA)
- Certified EKG Technician (CET)
- Certified Billing Coding Specialist (CBCS)
Multi-CrafTest Maintenance Testing
Improve your hiring, training and promotion process for maintenance employee selection. The Multi-CrafTest is for use in selecting maintenance employees who have knowledge in seven different craft areas. Categories tested include:
- Hydraulics & Pneumatics
- Welding & Rigging
- Power Transmission, Lubrication, Mechanical Maintenance, Shop Machines, & Tools & Equipment
- Pumps, Piping & Combustion
- Motors, Control Circuits & Schematics & Print Reading
- Digital Electronics, Power Supplies, Computers & PLC, & Test Instruments
- Basic AC/DC Theory, Power Distribution & Electrical Maintenance